A phantom vehicle is a supposed ghostly or haunted vehicle. No such phenomena have been scientifically verified and no research on this topic appears in the peer-reviewed scientific literature. However, many people find such stories fascinating and they are common in urban legendsand entertainment.
In more detail, phantom vehicle is a term describing two types of phenomenon: either a ghostly apparation of a vehicle of some kind (usually involved in fatal car crashes; the same vehicle mysteriously reappears and disappears at the spot where the accident occurred); or a vehicle that is haunted by the spirit of a person (usually the former owner of the vehicle) which sometimes appears in the passenger seat as a ghostly apparition or appears in the rear view mirror. In the latter example, the witness could often look in the backseat of the vehicle but find nobody there. Such vehicles are often claimed to be acting strangely.
Another kind of a phantom vehicle is one that suddenly appears out of nowhere at high speed and disappears. This type of phantom vehicle (mostly cars and trucks) is reported to be driverless or is driven by a ghost of the owner of the vehicle. Witnesses often claim that they see such vehicles disappearing at spots which a normal vehicle could have crashed into.
Phantom Vehicles can be ghosts of almost any form of humantransportation , usually cars, trucks, trains, and ships.
Cars and trucks
There have been many reports of ghostly cars and trucks. A majority of these sightings come from rural backroads, empty highways and desolate dirt roads. Many of these sightings take place at night.
* In 1982 two people in Hawaiireported seeing a mysterious black car which disappeared a second later and reappear again.
* In 1995, an eyewitness saw a brown 1960s car that had bumper stickers, the witness passed the car but it mysteriously reappeared ahead of the witness's car at several stoplights. Also the witness noticed that the driver was a man in his teens and that he never turned his head and he never moved the steering wheel when the man drove around the "dead man's curve" the witness said.
* 2004, In Cape Town, South Africa, a Renaultsedan mysteriously rolled up an embankment and hit a fence, despite the fact that the handbrakewas engaged and the engine was off. Some say the car was "jumping".
* In the mid 1980s, three people in a sedan reported seeing a gray van heading straight towards them. Then suddenly the van vanished.
* The Curse of "Little Bastard": the mid-1950s Porsche 550 Spyderin which James Deandied is said to be cursed after the accidents in which it has been later involved.
* In Germany, a car mysteriously started up by itself and rammed a wall.
* An eyewitness claimed that an old truck started up by itself and blinked at him as he walked past an old house.
* Early 1980s - a British motorist crashed his car in order to avoid a truck that suddenly appeared coming straight towards him and then vanished.
* A Police chase video has documented a car had been driving erratically "like a man possessed" and proceeding to outrun cops by vanishing into a field that was bordered by an unbroken chain-link fenceTrains
* The "St Louis Ghost Train" is said to haunt a Saskatchewan village.
* Abraham Lincoln's funeral train was said to be haunted by his spirit.
* The "Silverpilen" subway train is supposed to haunt the metrosystem of Stockholm, the Swedish capital.
* In 2000 a train in BogorStation moving to JakartaCikini Station was seen without the driver and passengers.
* In 1997, eyewitnesses claimed they saw a single-engine plane crash. But when the coast guard searched the waters off Connecticut, they couldn't find any wreckage or bodies. Also none of the airports reported any planes missing.
Boats and ships
* Legends tell of a ghostly ship named the "Flying Dutchman" said to haunt the waters near the Cape of Good Hope.
* There are several stories of ghost ships linked to the Bermuda Trianglelegends.
* The Mary Celesteis one of the most famous and documented "ghost ships" http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Phantom_vehicle
'Haunted' car goes haywire
Somerset West - A locked Renault jerking backwards up an incline, without the engine running and the handbrake on, has left a Cape Town family perplexed.
Ian Schietekat, owner of the Roosboom guest house, his wife, Mabel, their children and German guests were all fast asleep when a loud crash sounded through the neighbourhood just before 06:00.
They rushed out and found that the rented Renault Mégane, with which the Germans were touring through the Cape, started jumping around on its own and burst straight through a sturdy wooden fence.
Initially everyone - including the neighbours who were also jerked from their sleep - thought it was a botched attempt to steal the car.
However, the large security gate enclosing the property was still closed, car was locked, no windows had been broken, and even the handbrake was pulled up.
The police were summoned, but they were also flummoxed.
"No vehicle can move if it is not switched on," one officer said.
But he had to eat his words shortly after that.
In full view of the Schietekats, the tourists and the two police officers,the vehicle "suddenly made a type of roaring sound and gave two powerful leaps to the back, before it, thank heaven, was stopped by a hibiscus tree," Ian Schietekat recalled. "I wish you could have seen our faces. The one police officer's eyes were as big as saucers and my daughter said the car was haunted," Mabel said.http://www.news24. com/News24/ South_Africa/ News/0,,2- 7-1442_1624535, 00.html
snopevehiclepes. com: Unlucky Green Cars
Is green an unlucky color for an ... Home --> Automobiles --> Cursed Cars --> Checkered Past ... this page is http://www.snopes. com/autos/ cursed/green. asp
...www.snopes. com/autos/ cursed/green. asp